Guided Missile Frigate

FFG 20  -  USS Antrim



FFG-20 USS Antrim patch crest insignia

FFG-20 USS Antrim Oliver Hazard Perry class guided missile frigate

Type, Class:


Guided Missile Frigate; Oliver Hazard Perry - class (short hull)

planned and built as FFG 20



Todd Pacific Shipyard, Seattle, Washington, USA



Awarded: February 28, 1977

Laid down: June 21, 1978

Launched: March 27, 1979

Commissioned: September 26, 1981

Decommissioned: May 8, 1996


Fate: stricken September 4, 1997

transferred to Turkey (grant aid) on August 27, 1998

renamed TCG Giresun (F-491); in service in Turkish Navy






Named after and in honor of Rear Admiral Richard Nott Antrim (1907 - 1969)

> see history, below;

Ship's Motto:



Technical Data:

(Measures, Propulsion,

Armament, Aviation, etc.)


see: INFO > Oliver Hazard Perry - class Guided Missile Frigate


ship images


FFG-20 USS Antrim Oliver Hazard Perry class guided missile frigate


USS Antrim FFG-20 Perry class guided missile frigate


FFG-20 USS Antrim Oliver Hazard Perry class guided missile frigate


USS Antrim FFG-20 Perry class guided missile frigate


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim combat information center CIC

(missile control center)


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim


FFG-20 USS Antrim during construction


FFG-20 USS Antrim construction


FFG-20 USS Antrim construction



Richard Nott Antrim


Richard Nott Antrim, US Navy  Richard Nott Antrim, US Navy  Richard Nott Antrim, Commander Admiral US Navy



Namesake & History:

Rear Admiral Richard Nott Antrim (December 17, 1907 – March 7, 1969):


Richard Nott Antrim was born on 17 December 1907 in Peru, Indiana. Following a year of enlisted Naval Reserve service, he entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1927. Graduated in June 1931 and receiving a commission in the rank of Ensign, he briefly served in the Eleventh Naval District offices at San Diego, California, then reported for sea duty in the battleship New York. In April 1932, he began instruction at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, after which he returned to sea in the oiler Salinas, ammunition ship Nitro, and light cruiser Trenton. Antrim then helped to fit out and subsequently served on board the heavy cruiser Portland. In June 1934, while assigned to the latter ship, he was promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade. Following a brief tour on board the destroyer Crowninshield, in July 1936 he was assigned to Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, New Jersey for training and duty with lighter-than-air-aircraft (dirigibles and balloons). In May 1938, he became Executive Officer of the minesweeper Bittern. Antrim was promoted to Lieutenant in July 1939 and in December transferred to the destroyer Pope as her the Executive Officer. While serving in that Asiatic Fleet ship in September 1940, he received his designation as a Naval Aviator (LTA).

During the first months of World War II, Pope participated in the desperate struggle to defend the Philippines and Netherlands East Indies. On 1 March 1942, following the Battle of the Java Sea, she attempted to escort the damaged British heavy cruiser Exeter out of the combat zone, but was sunk by aircraft bombs when the little force was intercepted by the enemy. Though wounded, Lieutenant Antrim led the ship's survivors as they drifted at sea for three days, until the enemy picked them up and took them to a prisoner of war facility at Makassar, Celebes. In April 1942, when a fellow officer was being viciously beaten and close to death, Antrim bravely stepped forward and offered to take the rest of the punishment, stunning the Japanese guards, inspiring the Allied prisoners, and creating among the enemy a new-found respect for their American captives. For his "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity" on this occasion, Antrim was awarded the Medal of Honor.

While a Prisoner of War, he continued his leadership role and devised a clever method of communicating the identity of the prison camp to Allied forces. He was temporarily promoted to Commander in November 1942, which rank was made permanent in 1949. Following liberation in September 1945, Antrim returned to the United States and attended the Repatriated Prisoner of War Refresher Course. He then received training at Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, New Jersey, the Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, and the Fleet Sonar School, San Diego, California. He was commanding officer of the destroyer Turner in 1947 and 1948, followed by a Lighter Than Air Planning and Programs assignment at the Office of Chief of Naval Operations in Washington, D.C. While in this post, he was promoted in July 1950 to Captain. Remaining in the National Capital during the early 1950s, Antrim served with the Policy Advisory Staff at the Department of State and on the Psychological Strategy Board. Beginning in August 1952, he commanded the attack transport Montrose. Returning to Washington D.C. in June 1953, Captain Antrim became the Head of the Naval Amphibious Warfare Matters Section in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. Due to health problems, he retired in June 1954 and was promoted at that time to the rank of Rear Admiral on the retired list. Richard N. Antrim died on 8 March 1969 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia.

Medal of Honor citation of Commander Richard Nott Antrim, USN

(as printed in the official publication "Medal of Honor, 1861-1949, The Navy", page 151):

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while interned as a Prisoner of War of the enemy Japanese in the city of Makassar, Celebes, Netherlands East Indies, in April 1942. Acting instantly on behalf of a Naval officer who was subjected to a vicious clubbing by a frenzied Japanese guard venting his insane wrath upon the helpless prisoner, Commander (then Lieutenant) Antrim boldly intervened, attempting to quiet the guard and finally persuading him to discuss the charges against the officer. With the entire Japanese force assembled and making extraordinary preparations for the threatened beating, and with the tension heightened by 2,700 Allied prisoners rapidly closing in, Commander Antrim courageously appealed to the fanatic enemy, risking his own life in a desperate effort to mitigate the punishment. When the other had been beaten unconscious by 15 blows of a hawser and was repeatedly kicked by three soldiers to a point beyond which he could not survive, Commander Antrim gallantly stepped forward and indicated to the perplexed guards that he would take the remainder of the punishment, throwing the Japanese completely off balance in their amazement and eliciting a roar of acclaim from the suddenly inspired Allied prisoners. By his fearless leadership and valiant concern for the welfare of another, he not only saved the life of a fellow officer and stunned the Japanese into sparing his own life but also brought about a new respect for American officers and men and a great improvement in camp living conditions. His heroic conduct throughout reflects the highest credit upon Commander Antrim and the United States Naval Service."


USS Antrim (FFG 20):


The second Antrim (FFG-20) was laid down on 21 June 1978 at Seattle, Wash., by the Seattle Division of Todd Shipyards Corp.; launched on 27 March 1979; sponsored by Mrs. Richard N. Antrim, the widow of the late Rear Admiral Antrim; and commissioned at Seattle on 26 September 1981, Comdr. William H. Wright, IV, in command.

On 1 October, Antrim departed Seattle en route to Mayport, Fla., her home port. She made stops at Mazatlan and Manzanillo before arriving in the Canal Zone on the 25th. The guided-missile frigate transited the Panama Canal on Navy Day, 27 October 1981, and continued on to Mayport where she arrived on 2 November. Antrim conducted independent ship's exercises out of Mayport on an intermittent daily basis until 20 November when she set sail for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The warship carried out shakedown training in the West Indies until 12 December. After a port visit to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., she tested and calibrated her sound equipment in the Bahamas before returning to Mayport on the 20th to commence holiday standdown.

The holiday leave and upkeep period ended on 11 January 1982 with her return to sea to conduct combat systems qualifications and trials. With that event, the guided-missile frigate resumed a normal schedule of operations out of Mayport in the local operating area and in the West Indies as well. On 26 April, Antrim departed Mayport bound ultimately for Bath, Maine, and post-shakedown availability at the Bath Iron Works. Along the way, she stopped at Yorktown, Va., to unload ordnance and atPortsmouth, N.H., for a port visit. The warship arrived in Bath on 7 May and commenced a repair period that lasted 16 weeks. She embarked upon the voyage back to Mayport on 27 August, made a series of stops en route, and entered Mayport again on 11 September. Antrim stayed in port for almost a month, putting to sea again on 8 October to carry out post-repair refresher training in the vicinity of Guantanamo Bay. The guided-missile frigate completed that mission at the beginning of November, made a brief call at Key West, and then executed advanced ASW drills in the Bahamas. She reentered Mayport on 12 November and remained there through the end of the year.

Antrim ended holiday standdown early in January 1983, returning to sea to begin training on the 4th. At the beginning of February, she sailed north to Norfolk whence she conducted weapons testing and training. On 10 February, while she was engaged in those evolutions, a target drone skipped off the surface and struck Antrim causing a fire in the wardroom and in her electronics spaces. The accident killed a civilian instructor embarked in the warship. Antrim returned to Mayport and passed the rest of February engaged in repairs. The warship completed her weapons training and testing during March and spent most of April preparing to deploy to the Mediterranean Sea and in the Middle East. On 29 April, the guided-missile frigate stood out of Mayport on her way to the Strait of Gibraltar.

She entered the Mediterranean on 9 May and joined the 6th Fleet. Antrim carried out normal 6th Fleet training operations until the second week in June. On 11 June, the warship transited the legendary Straits of the Bosporus and the Dardanelles and entered the Black Sea. For eight days, she conducted operations in the Black Sea and, during that time, also paid a four-day visit to Constanta, Romania. Antrim renegotiated the famous Straits of antiquity again on 19 June and resumed her operational schedule as a unit of the 6th Fleet. On 1 August, the guided-missile frigate passed through the Suez Canal and shaped a course for the Persian Gulf. Following a brief stop at Djibouti on 3 August, she began duty as a radar picket ship on the 4th. Except for a port call at Karachi, Pakistan, from 27 September to 4 October, Antrim, served in the Persian Gulf for almost three months. She carried out turnover formalities with her relief at Djibouti on 30 October, transited the Suez Canal on 4 November, and laid in a course for Rota, Spain. After stopping at Rota briefly on the 10th, Antrim set out across the Atlantic. She arrived in Mayport on 21 November and stood down for the last weeks of the year.

The relative inactivity of the final month of 1983 carried over into and through the first month of 1984. Antrim did not put to sea again until the first week in February. On the 3d, the warship got underway for the coast of Central America. After a call at Puerto de Cortez, Honduras, on the 6th and 7th, she transited the Panama Canal on the 10th. For almost seven weeks, Antrim conducted operations off the western shores of Central America from the base at Rodman in the Canal Zone. On 28 March, she travelled back through the canal and set her course for Mayport. The guided-missile frigate stood into her home port on 2 April. She passed the bulk of the month engaged in repairs, completing post-repair sea trials on the 26th and 27th. On 28 April, Antrim headed north for port visits at Newport, R.I., and Portsmouth, N.H., followed by plane guard duty for Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).

The warship returned to Mayport on 11 May and resumed local operations 10 days later. At the end of June, she headed for Guantanamo Bay whence she carried out refresher training until the end of July. After visiting Charleston at the end of the first week in August, Antrim arrived back in Mayport on the 11th. On 20 August, the guided-missile frigate began a two-month restricted availability at Mayport. She wrapped up the repair period with sea trials on 22 and 23 October and a stop at Charleston on the 24th to load ordnance material. Back in Mayport on 26 October, Antrim executed training missions in the local operating area until early in December when she began preparations for overseas movement.

Holiday routine interrupted those preparations late in December, but the pace quickened in January 1985 as her February departure date drew near. On 4 February, Antrim stood out of Mayport on her way across the Atlantic. She made a short call at Rota, Spain, for fuel on St. Valentine's Day 1985 before passing through the Strait of Gibraltar and into the Mediterranean Sea. The warship made an expeditious transit of the Mediterranean, stopping only at Palma de Mallorca and Augusta Bay, Sicily, before negotiating the Suez Canal on 27 February. Steamingthence through the Red Sea and around the Arabian Peninsula, Antrim passed through the Strait of Hormuz on 9 March and entered the Persian Gulf. While cruising on radar picket station in the Persian Gulf, Antrim received a distress call from the Liberian-flag motor vessel, Caribbean Breeze, that had suffered an Iranian missile attack to her bridge. The guided-missile frigate and her embarked helicopter detachment - HSL-36, Del. 1 - rendered assistance to the stricken vessel. Antrim, then continued her surveillance patrols of the troubled waters of the Persian Gulf until the end of the third week in April.

At that time, she departed the gulf for a little more than a week to make a port call at Karachi, Pakistan. Back on station in the Persian Gulf at the end of April, Antrim responded to another call for help on 2 May after the Iranians attacked another motor vessel, Nordic Trader, with missiles. Again, the warship and her helicopter detachment evacuated casualties. Her remaining two months of surveillance patrols in the Persian Gulf provided no further untoward incidents. She turned her responsibilities over to Klakring (FFG-42) and Reid (FFG-30) on 5 July and shaped a course via Djibouti and the Red Sea to the Suez Canal. Through the canal on the 14th, she made a single stop - at Valencia, Spain - on her voyage across the Mediterranean.

After a short pause at Rota on the 24th for fuel, the warship embarked upon the Atlantic passage that same day. On 5 August, one month to the day after her relief, Antrim pulled into Mayport. Post-deployment standdown occupied the remainder of August, but she resumed local operations out of Mayport early in September. During the latter half of November, the warship voyaged to the coast of Colombia, South America, to assist in a multinational operation against drug smugglers. She returned to Mayport at the beginning of December and, following a short period of local operations, settled into holiday routine. As of the beginning of 1987, Antrim was at Mayport.




FFG-20 USS Antrim patch crest insignia  FFG-20 USS Antrim patch crest insignia  FFG-20 USS Antrim patch crest insignia


FFG-20 USS Antrim cruise patch  FFG-20 USS Antrim cruise patch



| | USN ships start page |