Guided Missile Cruiser

CG 67  -  USS Shiloh



USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia

USS Shiloh CG 67 - Ticonderoga class guided missile cruiser - US Navy

USS Shiloh (CG 67)

Type, Class:


Guided Missile Cruiser; Ticonderoga (Baseline 4) - class;

planned and built as CG 67;



Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, USA



Awarded: April 16, 1987

Laid down: August 1, 1989

Launched: September 8, 1990

Commissioned: July 2, 1992





forward deployed to Yokosuka, Japan



named after and in honor of the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee (American Civil War, April 1862)

Ship’s Motto:



Technical Data:

(Measures, Propulsion,

Armament, Aviation, etc.)


see: INFO >> Guided Missile Cruiser / Ticonderoga – Class



Official US Navy site


ship images


USS Shiloh CG 67 in drydock - Yokosuka, Japan 2008

USS Shiloh (CG 67) is in dry dock during a dry dock selective restricted availability – Yokosuka, Japan – January 12, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 in drydock - Yokosuka, Japan 2008

Yokosuka, Japan – January 12, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 - East China Sea 2008

East China Sea – November 19, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Pacific Ocean 2008

Pacific Ocean – March 29, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 and USS Nimitz CVN 68 - Pacific Ocean 2008

USS Shiloh (CG 67) and USS Nimitz (CVN 68) – Pacific Ocean – March 29, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 and USS Princeton CG 59 - Pacific Ocean 2008

USS Shiloh (CG 67) and USS Princeton (CG 59) – Pacific Ocean – March 29, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 and USNS Pecos (T-AO 197)

The Military Sealift Command fleet replenishment oiler USNS Pecos (T-AO 197) refuels USS Shiloh (CG 67) – March 6, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 fires ger Mk.45/Mod 4 gun - Philippine Sea 2008

USS Shiloh (CG 67) fires her Mk.45/Mod 4 bow-gun – Philippine Sea – February 9, 2008



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Yokosuka, Japan 2006

Yokosuka, Japan – August 29, 2006



USS Shiloh CG 67 launches a Standard Missile (SM-3) - Pacific Ocean 2006

A Standard Missile Three (SM-3) is launched from USS Shiloh (CG 67) – Pacific Ocean – June 22, 2006



USS Shiloh CG 67 launches a Standard Missile (SM-3) - Pacific Ocean 2006

A Standard Missile Three (SM-3) is launched from USS Shiloh (CG 67) – Pacific Ocean – June 22, 2006



USS Shiloh (CG 67), USS Benfold (DDG 65) and USS Shoup (DDG 86) - Pacific Ocean 2005

USS Shiloh (CG 67), USS Benfold (DDG 65) and USS Shoup (DDG 86) – Pacific Ocean – February 25, 2005



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Pacific Ocean 2004

Pacific Ocean – December 21, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Pacific Ocean 2004

Pacific Ocean – December 21, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 pulls alongside USNS Rainier (T-AOE 7) - Pacific Ocean 2004

USS Shiloh (CG 67) pulls alongside USNS Rainier (T-AOE 7) for an underway replenishment – Pacific Ocean – December 20, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 conducts an underway replenishment - Pacific Ocean 2004

Pacific Ocean – December 10, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Pacific Ocean 2004

Pacific Ocean – December 7, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 - San Diego, California 2004

San Diego, California – October 19, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Puget Sound, Washington 2004

Puget Sound, Washington – August 5, 2004



USS Shiloh CG 67 - Naval Weapon Station Seal Beach, California 2003

Naval Weapon Station Seal Beach, California – June 12, 2003



USS Shiloh CG 67 - San Diego, California 2003

San Diego, California – April 25, 2003



USS Shiloh CG 67 fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003

USS Shiloh (CG 67) fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) in the support of Operation Iraqi Freedom – Arabian Gulf – March 21, 2003



USS Shiloh CG 67 - underway in support of Operation Enduring Freedom 2002

underway in support of Operation Enduring Freedom – September 24, 2002



USS Shiloh CG 67 fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) during Operation Desert Strike 1996

USS Shiloh (CG 67) fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) during Operation Desert Strike – North Arabian Gulf – September 3, 1996



USS Shiloh CG 67 fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) during Operation Desert Strike 1996

USS Shiloh (CG 67) fires a Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM) during Operation Desert Strike – North Arabian Gulf – September 3, 1996



The Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee


The Battle of Shiloh (the battle of Pittsburg landing) - painting by Thure de Thulstrup

The Battle of Shiloh – painting by Thure de Thulstrup



Shiloh National Military Park, Tennessee

Map of Shiloh National Military Park




Ulysses S. Grant


Don Carlos Buell


Albert Sidney Johnston


Pierre Gustave Toutant de Beauregard

Ulysses S. Grant

(April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885)


Don Carlos Buell

(March 23,1818 – Nov. 19, 1898)


Albert Sidney Johnston

(February 2, 1803 – April 6, 1862)


Pierre Gustave Toutant

de Beauregard

(May 28, 1818 – February 20, 1893)



Namesake & History:

About the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee / American Civil War – 1862:


The Battle of Shiloh, also known as the Battle of Pittsburg Landing, was a major battle in the Western Theater of the American Civil War, fought April 6–7, 1862, in southwestern Tennessee. Confederate forces under Albert Sidney Johnston and P.G.T. Beauregard launched a surprise attack against the Union army of Ulysses S. Grant and came close to defeating his invasion of Tennessee. Fierce Union resistance and the arrival of reinforcements from Don Carlos Buell on April 7 turned the tide and the Confederates were forced to retreat from the bloodiest battle in United States history up to that time.

Prelude to battle

After the loss of Forts Henry and Donelson in February 1862, Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston withdrew his forces into west Tennessee, northern Mississippi, and Alabama to reorganize. In early March, Union Major General Henry W. Halleck, commander of the Western Theater, responded by ordering Major General Ulysses S. Grant to advance his Army of West Tennessee on an invasion up the Tennessee River.

Grant occupied Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, awaiting the arrival of Major General Don Carlos Buell's Army of the Ohio from Nashville. His orders from Halleck were to link up with Buell and advance south in a joint offensive to seize the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, a vital supply line between the Mississippi Valley, Memphis, and Richmond. Grant developed a reputation during the war for being more concerned with his own plans than with those of the enemy. His encampment at Pittsburg Landing displayed his most consequential lack of such concern - his army was spread out in bivouac style, many around the Shiloh Church, spending time waiting for Buell with drills, without entrenchments or other awareness of defensive measures.

Johnston named his scattered forces the Army of the Mississippi. He concentrated almost 55,000 men around Corinth, Mississippi, about 20 miles southwest of Grant's position. On April 3, Johnston departed from Corinth with about 44,000 men, hoping to surprise Grant before Buell arrived to join forces. The plan was to attack Grant's left and separate the Union army from its gunboat support (and avenue of retreat) on the Tennessee River, driving it west into the swamps of Snake and Owl Creeks, where it could be destroyed.

Johnston's attack on Grant was originally planned for April 4, but the advance was delayed 48 hours. As a result, his second in command, General P.G.T. Beauregard, feared that the element of surprise had been lost and recommended withdrawing to Corinth. But Johnston refused to consider retreat.

Battle, April 6

At 6:00 a.m. on April 6, 1862, Johnston's army was deployed for battle, straddling the Corinth Road. In fact, the army had spent the entire night bivouacking undetected in order of battle just two miles away from the Union camps. His approach and dawn assault achieved almost total strategic and tactical surprise. The Union army had virtually no patrols in place for early warning. Grant telegraphed to Halleck on the night of the 5th, "I have scarcely the faintest idea of an attack (general one) being made upon us, but will be prepared should such a thing take place." Unfortunately for Grant, his preparedness was greatly overstated. Major General William T. Sherman, Grant's senior commander in the encampment, refused to believe that the Confederates were anywhere nearby; he discounted any possibility of an attack from the south, expecting that Johnston would eventually attack from the direction of Purdy, Tennessee, to the west. Sherman should have known something was up. Early that morning Major General Benjamin Prentiss had sent forward part of the 25th Missouri Infantry on a reconnaissance, and they became engaged with Confederate outposts at 5:15 a.m. The spirited fight that ensued did help a little to get Union troops better positioned, but the command of the Union army was figuratively asleep that morning.

Faulty planning on Johnston's part reduced the effectiveness of the attack. There were insufficient forces on the Confederate right to roll up the Union from that direction as planned. The corps of William J. Hardee and Braxton Bragg began the assault with their divisions in one long line. As these units advanced, they became intermingled and difficult to control. Corps commanders attacked in line without reserves. Beauregard, serving in the rear as second in command, ordered the corps of Leonidas Polk and John C. Breckenridge forward on the left and right of the line, diluting their effectiveness. The attack turned into a simple, but massive, frontal assault, with insufficient mass to break through.

The assault was nevertheless ferocious, and in its face, some of the many inexperienced Union soldiers of Grant's new army fled for safety to the Tennessee River. Others fought well, but were forced to withdraw under strong pressure and attempted to form new defensive lines. Major General John A. McClernand's division temporarily stabilized the position. Overall, however, Johnston's forces made steady progress until noon, rolling up Union positions one by one.

General Grant himself was downriver about ten miles on a gunboat at Savannah, Tennessee, that morning. He heard the sound of artillery fire and raced to the battlefield, arriving about 8:30 a.m. He worked frantically to bring up reinforcements that were nearby: Brigadier General William "Bull" Nelson's division from across the river at the Landing; Lew Wallace's division from Savannah. These reserves did not arrive hastily however, due (perhaps) to decisions Wallace made.

Wallace's group had been left as reserves at a place called Stoney Lonesome to the rear of the Union line. Almost immediately after the appearance of the Confederates, Grant sent orders for Wallace to move his unit up to support Sherman, who was being hammered. Wallace later claimed there was ambiguity to Grant's order and he took a route different from the one Grant intended. Wallace arrived at the end of his march only to find that Sherman had been forced back, and was no longer where Wallace thought he was. Moreover, the battle line had moved so far that Wallace now found himself in the rear of the advancing Southern troops.

A messenger arrived with word that Grant was wondering where Wallace was, and why he had not arrived at Pittsburg Landing, where the Union was making its stand. Wallace was confused. He felt sure he could viably launch an attack from where he was and hit the Confederates in the rear. Nevertheless, he decided to turn his troops around and march back to Stoney Lonesome. For some reason, rather than realign his troops so that the rear guard would be in the front, Wallace chose to march the troops in a circle so that the original order was maintained, only facing in the other direction. Wallace marched back to Stoney Lonesome and then to Pittsburg Landing, not arriving at Grant's position until about 7 p.m., at a time when the fighting was practically over. Grant was not pleased.

Buell's army was still too far away to affect the action that morning.

Elsewhere, starting at about 9:00 a.m., about 2,500 men of the Union division commanded by Prentiss established and held a line, nicknamed the Hornet's Nest, along and within a sunken road. The Confederates assaulted the position for several hours rather than simply bypassing it; the latter course would have been a more sound tactical and strategic decision. The Confederates suffered heavy casualties during these assaults. The Union forces to the left and right of the Nest were forced back under the weight of the continued pressure and Prentiss' position became a salient in the line. Coordination among units in the Nest was poor and units withdrew based solely on their individual commanders' decisions. Regiments became disorganized and companies disintegrated. However, it was not until the attackers assembled 62 cannons to blast the line that they were able to surround the position and the Hornet's Nest fell after holding for seven hours. A large part of Prentiss' division was captured, but their sacrifice bought time for Grant to establish a final defense line near Pittsburg Landing.

On the Union right flank, resistance was stiff and Johnston's forces bogged down in a savage fight around Shiloh Church. Throughout the day, the Confederates repeatedly assaulted the Union right, which gave ground but did not break.

The Union survivors established a solid front around Pittsburg Landing, including a ring of over 50 cannons, and repulsed the last Confederate charge as dusk ended the first day of fighting. Naval guns from the river assisted the defense. The Confederates' plan had failed; they had pushed Grant to the river, but they had not forced him west into the swamps.

In another setback, Johnston was mortally wounded at about 2:30 p.m. while personally leading attacks on the Union left. He had sent his personal surgeon away to care for troops, and in the doctor's absence, he bled to death from a leg wound that didn't seem serious at first. This was a significant loss for the Confederacy. Jefferson Davis considered Albert Sidney Johnston to be the most effective general they had. (This was two months before Robert E. Lee emerged as the pre-eminent Confederate general.) Beauregard assumed command.

The evening of April 6 was a dispiriting end to the first day of one of the bloodiest battles in recorded history. In the Civil War, medics were not sent into the field to collect and treat wounded soldiers. Hence, many soldiers were abandoned to bleed to death, or in the case of Shiloh, be eaten alive by scavenging animals as a thunderstorm went through Pittsburg Landing. The desperate screams of soldiers could be heard in the Union and Confederate camps throughout the night, an image whose bleakness foreshadowed the exhausted soldiers at the World War I battle of Passchendaele, collapsing in mud pits from illness and hyperfatigue. As the exhausted Confederate soldiers bedded down in the abandoned Union camps, Sherman encountered Grant under a tree, sheltering himself from the pouring rain, smoking one of his cigars, considering his losses and planning for the next day. Sherman remarked, "Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?" Grant looked up. "Yes," he replied, followed by a puff. "Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow, though."

Grant had reason to be optimistic, for Don Carlos Buell's army had arrived that night, in time to turn the tide the next day.

April 7

On April 7, 1862, the combined Union armies numbered 55,000 men. Beauregard had planned to continue the attack and drive Grant into the river, unaware that he was now outnumbered. Union forces started attacking at dawn; Grant and Buell launched their attacks separately and coordination occurred only down at the division level. Confederate lines stabilized around 9:00 a.m. By 10:00, the Union attack was occurring in concert along the entire line. The weight of the attack, which included the efforts of 25,000 fresh troops, was too much for the Confederates to withstand.

Realizing that he had lost the initiative, and that he was low on ammunition and food and with 15,000 of his men killed, wounded, or missing, Beauregard knew he could go no further. He withdrew beyond Shiloh Church, using Breckenridge as a covering force, and began marching back to Corinth. The exhausted Union soldiers did not pursue much past their original encampments. The battle was over.


On April 8, Grant sent Sherman south along the Corinth Road in pursuit of the retreating Confederates. Meeting resistance from the cavalry screen under Nathan Bedford Forrest, Sherman abandoned the pursuit.

In late April and May the Union advanced toward Corinth and captured it, while an amphibious force on the Mississippi destroyed the Confederate River Defense Fleet and captured Memphis. From these bases Grant pushed on down the Mississippi to besiege Vicksburg. After the surrender of Vicksburg and the fall of Port Hudson in the summer of 1863, the Confederacy was cut in half.

The two-day battle of Shiloh, the costliest in U.S. history up to that time, resulted in the defeat of the Confederate army force and frustration of Johnston's plans to prevent the joining of the two Union armies in Tennessee. A total of 23,746 men were killed, wounded, captured, or missing, more than the American casualties of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Mexican War combined. The dead included the irreplaceable Albert Sidney Johnston; the highest ranking general on the Union's side killed was W.H.L. Wallace. Both sides were shocked at the carnage. Little did they know that three more years of such bloodshed remained in the war and that eight larger and bloodier battles were yet to come. Grant learned a valuable lesson on preparedness that (mostly) served him well for the rest of the war.

The word shiloh is a Hebrew word that means "place of peace".


USS Shiloh (CG 67):


USS SHILOH's keel was laid on August 1, 1989, and she was christened on September 8, 1990.

USS SHILOH launched 14 Tomahawk cruise missiles to attack selected air defense targets south of the 33rd parallel in Iraq on 3 September 1996, as part of Operation Desert Strike. The attacks were designed to reduce risks to the pilots enforcing the expanded no-fly zone announced by President Clinton in response to an Iraqi attack against a Kurdish faction. The USS SHILOH was part of the USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70) Battle Group that moved into the northern Arabian Gulf the previous week responding to escalating activity by Iraqi ground forces.

USS SHILOH entered in July 1998 as part of the ABRAHAM LINCOLN Battle Group the Arabian Gulf where it remained until late October to early November.

On 24 September 1999, USS SHILOH launched an Standard Missile Three (SM-3) in the waters off the Hawaiian Islands off the Pacific Missile Range Facility and as part of the AEGIS Leap Intercept (ALI) project. The purpose of the test conducted in the waters off the Hawaiian Islands, was to collect valuable information to correct problems and have a successful launch testing of the first two stages of the missile. The SM-3 used to destroy aircraft, was slated to incorporate a new duty; that of intercepting and destroying intercontinental and theater ballistic missiles as part of the Navy Theater Wide Program. Once placed in service, the SM-3 missile would complement the armement of Aegis-class cruisers and ARLEIGH BURKE-class guided missile destroyers, with the SM-3 carried aboard cruisers and destroyers in greater numbers. During the test, the SM-3 flew a nominal trajectory through second/third stage separation.

USS SHILOH successfully demonstrated the launch and flight sequence through third stage separation as well as verified flight stability at extreme altitude. Though the original plan had been to conduct all Flight Test Round shots from USS SHILOH, the need for further testing conflicted with the ship's operational schedule. Therefore, it was decided by the CNO to shift to USS LAKE ERIE (CG 70) to conduct the next firings in the ALI testing program.

USS SHILOH took part in June 2000, in "Exercise Pacific Blitz" off the west coast of Kauai, Hawaii, at the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) located on Kauai. The exercise, held in conjunction with RIMPAC 2000, followed two days of target tracking and joint services interoperability testing. The exercise was a major step toward achieving joint service interoperability for Theater Ballistic Missile Defense and battle force management During the exercise, USS SHILOH tracked threat representative targets with SPY-1 radar and communicated these tracks to other units via JTIDS link. SHILOH, with the prototype Area Air Defense Commander (AADC) system installed, was also used to display and record the missile events throughout the exercise.

USS SHILOH deployed in August 2000 as part of the ABRAHAM LINCOLN Battle Group for a scheduled six-month Western Pacific and Arabian Gulf deployment. During the deployment the Battle Group conducted operations in support of Operation Southern Watch. SHILOH returned to San Diego in February 2001.

On July 20, 2002, SHILOH departed San Diego on her next deployment. Again assigned to the ABRAHAM LINCOLN Battle Group, SHILOH operated in the Arabian Gulf and was initially scheduled to return home on January 20, 2003, but the Battle Group - while already underway home - was ordered to remain in the Gulf area to be able to participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom which started in March.

After more than 9 months at sea, SHILOH and the Battle Group finally returned home to the US in early May 2003.


In January 2005, she participated in Operation Unified Assistance, rendering aid to those who suffered from the 26 December 2004 tsunami off the coast of Aceh, Indonesia. The Shiloh was one of the first American ships to arrive on scene.

On 22 June 2006, a Standard Missile Three (or SM-3) launched from Shiloh intercepted a multi-stage ballistic missile launched from Barking Sands, Kauai, Hawaii.

In August 2006, she arrived on station at Yokosuka Naval Base in Yokosuka, Japan, replacing the USS Chancellorsville, as part of a joint U.S.-Japanese ballistic missile defense program.




USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia



USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia



USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia



USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia



USS Shiloh CG 67 - patch crest insignia




| | USN ships start page |